The easiest and quickest way to track your transactions, especially around the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan forgiveness is to link your bank/credit card accounts. However, if you prefer not to sync your account, the following steps will allow you to manually upload your transactions.
Create A Bank Account
First you must have a bank account setup in Sunrise to be able to manually import transactions. You will need to either link your bank account or create a bank account manually (if this is completed, skip to Step Two: Data Migration ).
Step 1: On the left navigation, under select Bank Accounts.
Step 2: In the top left corner use the drop down menu to Add a new account.
Step 3: Enter the basic information for your new account, most importantly:
- Account Name
- Account Number: Your account number should be the last 4 of the bank or credit card you are adding.
- Account Type
For Checking/savings accounts select the account type: Bank and Liquid asset
For Credit cards select Account Type: Credit Cards
Now it's time to locate the data that you would like to migrate to Sunrise.
Log into your bank/credit card account. You should be able to export the data from a specific time period. You will need to download it as a CSV file, so it is easy to upload to Sunrise.
The CSV file should have at least these headings:
- Date (use format MM/DD/YY)
- Description (remove single (') or double quotes ("))
- Amount (use format XXXX.XX - format as number, not currency - remove any symbols ($, €, etc.) or commas)
Note: Make sure the date is not DD/MM/YYYY.
Now that you have an account created and a CSV prepared, you can upload the CSV to the bank account that you created in step 1.
In your Sunrise account go to:
- Bank Accounts in the left navigation menu.
- In the left hand side use the drop down to select the account that you would like to import the CSV to.
Important Tip: Confirm the last 4 digits of the bank account in Sunrise matches the last 4 digits of the credit card or account statement.
- Click on Match transactions
- Click on Upload statement
- Click on Upload bank statement
- Follow the prompts to upload the CSV file you prepared in step 2
- Identify each column and click, 'Import now'
Error in uploading: Select the headings from the drop downs to match the data in that column (Date, Amount, Description) OR in the CSV file confirm the numbers and dates are formatted properly as shown in step 2.
Note: Test a few lines of data to confirm the format is correct, before attempting to upload a lot of lines.